Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday, July 12th

Finally read Spud - Learning to Fly by John van de Ruit, that I was given 9 months ago. Not bad, I did laugh several times.

I want to read Russel Hoban's Riddley Walker but I loathe the riddlespeak, riddleyspeak. Why don't writers just stick to understandable English?

Paged through lots of cookery books over the weekend. Interesting to know that a Madeira cake is just a Pound cake, or as we called it as kids; a white cake. My grandmother baked the recipe that follows for me hundreds of times.

White cake

400g Flour
10ml Baking Powder
1ml Salt, sieve together

250g Butter, melted
400g Sugar, stir into butter
250ml Plain Yogurt, stir into butter
5 Free Range eggs, separated, stir yolks into butter, whisk whites until dry

Add flour mixture to butter mixture and fold in the whisked egg whites. Pour into ring pan and bake at 180C for 45 minutes. It is unnecessary to frost this cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment