Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tuesday, August 31st

Due to my impossible internet connection, I decided not to blog for a week. Not cooking all the time gave me time to read a bit;

I don’t like chocolate is a very amusing comic book by Jesse Breytenbach, who “has been reading comics since primary school and eating food for even longer.”

Sudi Pigott’s how to be a better foodie has limited appeal. Very pretentious, nothing new.

On the other hand, Jeffrey Steingarten’s The Man who ate Everything, was funny, fabulous, informative and riveting.

Snarling Tiger, Dirty Rat (Rattling the Cage of the Chinese Zodiac) by Stella Hyde, that I just dipped into at random, is funny.

I abandoned Why Pandas do Handstands by Augustus Brown after the umpteenth inaccuracy. I quote: “Sloth bears carry their young on their backs. They are the only mammal, apart from the occasional human dad, known to do this.”

Coconut and Orange Cake

Line two bread tins or cake tins. This cake clings to the tins, don’t attempt in unlined tins.

4 Free Range Eggs, whisked well

220g Butter, melted

220g Coconut, fine desiccated

220g Sugar

100g Honey

300g Self-Raising Flour

20ml Orange zest

320ml Freshly squeezed orange juice

5ml Salt

250g Yogurt

Mix well, pour into pans and bake at 180°C for 40-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment